2 Abingdon House
Cumberland Business Centre,
PO5 1DS. Tel. 023 9282 3186
Delivering 80% reduction in carbon emissions between 2028 and 2032 and 100% by 2040
Time: 11:00 am - 11:20 am
The national policy pace of change to drive down carbon emissions has accelerated in recognition of the climate crisis and is seeking action now. This has resulted in NHS targets to achieve an 80% reduction in carbon emissions between 2028 and 2032 and 100% by 2040.
– Here we will explain the Trust Green Plan and use of the current EPC project, coupled with the attractiveness of the Salix Public Sector Decarbonisation Fund (PSDS) enabling the Trust to refresh the technology in order to meet these targets
• Commercial Consideration
o Governance/ procurement and route to market
– Here we will explain the route map, to align the supply chain with the Trusts procurement, financial and estates teams
– We will explain the approach on how we created “Shovel ready” projects in time for the PSDS time constraints
• Hospital stakeholder benefits
o Hospital user benefits
– Here we will explain the benefits to the Hospital users due to the “whole building approach” being taken. This provides improved weather envelope and insulation and windows to improve the patients and visitors experience.
– We will explain the visual impact this has on the Hospital drawing interest and educating the staff and visitors on East Sussex Trust are doing to achieve Carbon Neutral status
• Technical solution
o How to achieve a Carbon Neutral status by 2040
– Here we will explain the use of Low Carbon technology and supporting measures, whilst balancing the impact to the Hospital electrical infrastructure capitalising on an ever-greening national grid.
• Reduce reliance on Gas for heat
• Reducing the grid reliance by installing solar PV and to mitigate higher utility costs
• Satisfying the requirements of the Salix fund award criteria metrics £325/tCO2
• Satisfying N+1 resilience
• Effectively managing and monitoring performance data
- Chris Hodgson Director of Estates and Facilities - East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust