After some 16 years in the private sector, advising the NHS and successfully growing and managing a team of property, clinical planning consultants and analysts, Simon has returned to the Public Sector to head up the Estates and Facilities across the NHS. The role at NHS Improvement (NHSI) is one that he relishes, building on the good work that Peter Sellars has done with regard to the Carter Implementation Programme, he is keen to now take the team forward to provide the toolkit and expertise to assist the NHS in the next stage of delivering the improvements as set out in the Five Year Forward View next steps document and the Naylor Report.
Since joining NHSI in May 2017, Simon has recruited and team aligned to the 5 core Initiatives, of Commercial Acumen, Workforce, Operational Efficiency, standardisation and strategy.
In addition Simon and the team have:
- Undertaken over 60 Face-2-Face site visits with NHS trusts;
- Headed up the NHS Delivery of a successful response of the NHS to the Grenfell tragedy;
- Met with many stakeholders in the NHS estate including the devolved nation leads
- Undertaken a revision of the Estates and Facilities data collections;
- Undertaken 5 regional workshops with 200 attendees from the NHS;
- Delivered an improved Model Hospital metrics for NHS Estates and Facilities;
- Represented the NHS on the Estates Programme Board chaired by Lord O’Shaughnessy;
An accredited Gateway Reviewer and Project Director, Simon understands the need for commercial, innovative and deliverable solutions. In his role at NHS Improvement he is using his skills and experiences to bring fresh ideas and drive to improve the quality and efficiency of Estates and Facilities Management across the NHS.